Hello blogging world....

My name is Erin and I am a mother from Seattle, Wa. I am grateful to be able to stay home with my three children, and though it is the most trying job in the world, it is also the greatest one. I am so thankful to have this time with my beautiful children; they are growing up so quickly.

One of my passions aside from motherhood is movies. I just adore them. Not sure where this obsession first began, but I have a feeling it started with the classic ET when I was a small girl. Since then, I have not just sat silently watching, but always analyzing and critiquing as I go along. So, with this in mind, I decided to start this little blog and put my thoughts on "paper" for all see, and criticize. :) I don't profess to be a great writer; just someone who has a few things to share. Feel free to leave comments, questions, etc. My format won't be an organized one, just whatever comes to mind.

Welcome to the Diaper Reel!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

North and South

I just finished watching this splended film, and want to start it again right away. Honestly, I can't get enough. I have spent the last half hour searching google, as well as any other website I can find, with any information about both this film itself and the author of whom it originated, Elizabeth Gaskell. What a treat this one has been for me....already one of my absolute favorites, I must own it, and SOON!
This film is exactly why I adore movies so very much.

Two fabulous actors whom I had never seen prior to this movie were the hero and heroine in this film.... Richard Armitage as the seeminly hard as a rock John Thornton, and Daniela Denby-Ashe as the "progressive" outspoken Margaret Hale. The two meet in a town in Northern England called Milton, where Mr. Thornton has spent his life working and toiling away to eventually increase in great fortune and prosperity, but also has much pride and prejudice (no pun intended) attached as well. Ms. Hale has come from the south of England (hence the title) where life moves a little slower, and her opinions of truth and fairness are steadfast. The story that comes out of this meeting is complicated and fascinating. This film not only tackles the struggles and complexity of love, but also other relationships, class struggles, ideological struggles, and more. There is amazing depth within the relationships of these characters that span across classes and situations, where there is society struggles and misunderstanding. There is upheaval, strike, but also truth.

This whole tale was based on the book with the same name by Elizabeth Gaskell, written in 1855. At this point in time, Elizabeth was thought to be a "radical" in a sense. She wrote about upheaval and the struggle of classes, which was unheard of back then. But she wanted to write truth, and she was good at it. She took on the bold issues of her day, not shying away from working vs middle class contraversy, and this film is a wonderful example of her bold work. I think that she would be proud to see it on the big screen.

Overall, I was extremely pleased and surprised by this film. It had some essense of "Pride and Prejudice" and I do admit to thinking back to Jane Austen occasionally throughout. However, it also had it's very own flavor and feel, and kept me wanting more and more. I couldn't tear my eyes off the screen for most of it, and honestly did not know how it would end. I am such a sucker for a happy romantic ending, and I truly didn't know if that would come to pass at the end of this bold story. I have to give it my highest rating, a 1 Diaper Day.....absolutely FABULOUS!

I must sign off, I have to watch North and South again.....

3 comments:

  1. I read your review and then watched the movie and fell in deep passionate love with it. The suspense of romance, the hardships endured and the final scene made this one head straight to the top of my "most favorite" romantic movies. The BBC always does the best job with these period pieces and taking the 4 hours needed to film them correctly. I loved it - thanks for turning me on to this great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just put a hold on it at the library - but it looks like there may not be copies. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this movie - I love everything the BBC produces. Where did you find the movie to watch. LOVING this blog, Erin! great idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am half-way through and I agree - WELL Done! It'll be a must for my mom's and my period film movie nights!

    ReplyDelete