Hello blogging world....

My name is Erin and I am a mother from Seattle, Wa. I am grateful to be able to stay home with my three children, and though it is the most trying job in the world, it is also the greatest one. I am so thankful to have this time with my beautiful children; they are growing up so quickly.

One of my passions aside from motherhood is movies. I just adore them. Not sure where this obsession first began, but I have a feeling it started with the classic ET when I was a small girl. Since then, I have not just sat silently watching, but always analyzing and critiquing as I go along. So, with this in mind, I decided to start this little blog and put my thoughts on "paper" for all see, and criticize. :) I don't profess to be a great writer; just someone who has a few things to share. Feel free to leave comments, questions, etc. My format won't be an organized one, just whatever comes to mind.

Welcome to the Diaper Reel!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Based on the Michael Lewis' book "The Blind Side" and more importantly the true life story of Raven's rookie Michael Oher, this fantastic and moving film tramples over the competition and burrows quickly into our hearts. I believe that this rags to riches true story, fantastic cast of characters, and tear-jerking ability has won it one of my top ten movies of the year. And let's face it, THAT sure is an accomplishment!! :)
This amazing story surrounds a homeless 17 year old boy named Michael Oher. Michael, whom everyone has labeled "Big Mike" has no home, no family, no money, and all of a sudden found himself thrust into a private school where he doesn't fit in, doesn't understand anything that the teachers are forcing on him, and doesn't feel welcomed. I literally felt heart broken for the first half hour of the film watching him struggle through each and every day. Then one wintery night, LeighAnn Touhy, a high class mom on a mission, takes him in from the cold. And from that day on, a story unfolds between Michael and his new family. And not only for him, but for the four members of the Touhy family as well. Both are changed, both are strengthened, and both learn to love. Not only does this story touch the heart, director John Lee Hancock also adds the perfect flavor of humor and sarcasim to make it memorable and fun to watch. And for those men out there, the football is fantastic!
Normally when you think of Sandra Bullock, what comes to mind? Miss Congeniality, The Proposal, or Premonition? Maybe even While You Were Sleeping or A Time to Kill (classics!)? I may receive some grief for this statement, but I truly believe that this character, LeighAnn Touhy, is the absolute best of Bullock's career. She emulated this mother with amazing ability, her struggle, her love, her strength of will. She truly shined on screen. I admire all of her hard work and effort as she studied this story, and it's true life heros. Though her accent wasn't spot on 100% of the time, she did beautifully...
Truthfully, I was a little shocked to see Tim McGraw in such a prominent role in this film. And boy was I pleasently surprised. Is it because I had no expectations of him as an actor? Possibly.....however, I truly believe that he put his heart into the role of Sean Touhy, and it showed. His laid-back southern attitude was impressive as his wife changed their lives one decision after another. He played his role as a father well.
And now the crowning jewel of this film, Quinton Aaron. Though I hear he was in a few Law and Order episodes, to me, he was truly an unknown. And I really believe that he played his part perfectly. He was detached, emotional, funny, self-conscious, thoughtful, all in the correct parts and places. It showed on screen his love for the struggle of the character he was playing, and the inspirational message I believe he wanted to convey within the movie. It made his performance all the greater when I remembered that he was really playing a real live person, who had gone through all of the emotional termoil this boy was simply depicting on screen. He really was a sight to behold.
With the mix of these three greats, some comic relief, great football, and heart-warming story, the "Blind Side" has it all. I give it my highest rank, a 1 diaper day....fabulous!


6 comments:

  1. Seriously, you sound just like a true movie critic! I loved this review because it was insightful, but didn't have any spoilers.
    I am so excited about seeing this one. Wish I could have seen it with you twinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOSH. Ep!!! Yes you sound like a professional movie critic! SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOODDD!! I really really think you should sign up on www.imdb.com it's my life line for movies at work and some the reviews are ridiculous. YOU, my dear, have a way with words!! Didn't you minor in English or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Yeah, you've got my vote..... I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, this movie and we all know that says something!! ;) Also I love your whole little theme of this blog, too funny. Diaper roll! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVED this movie too... it is one of my ALL time favorites! i totally agree with your opinion of tim mcgraw, he was amazing (and not sure if it was because i had low expectations?) and i thought this was one of Sandra's best movies ever!
    i'm so excited to read your new blog, i LOVE movies too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. as if i didn't say enough already.... you should watch the 20/20 special about the 'real' story, it is truly amazing how the actors so acurately portrayed each member of the family! such an amazing and inspiring story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw the 20/20 on this movie and it was quite inspiring. Yep, glued. I love these tear-jerking, real life movies about everyday heroes who make a difference. Amazing how much just a little heart and caring can change one person - or several. Now I have to go see it - wish it was on another GNO! Erin, your writing is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete