Hello blogging world....

My name is Erin and I am a mother from Seattle, Wa. I am grateful to be able to stay home with my three children, and though it is the most trying job in the world, it is also the greatest one. I am so thankful to have this time with my beautiful children; they are growing up so quickly.

One of my passions aside from motherhood is movies. I just adore them. Not sure where this obsession first began, but I have a feeling it started with the classic ET when I was a small girl. Since then, I have not just sat silently watching, but always analyzing and critiquing as I go along. So, with this in mind, I decided to start this little blog and put my thoughts on "paper" for all see, and criticize. :) I don't profess to be a great writer; just someone who has a few things to share. Feel free to leave comments, questions, etc. My format won't be an organized one, just whatever comes to mind.

Welcome to the Diaper Reel!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Sister's Keeper

I was greatly anticipating seeing "My Sister's Keeper" after reading the book of which it was based, by Jodi Picoult. A semi-controversial story surrounding a family with a terminally ill child, and all that they do in order to save her. The dramatic events that occur because of the stress upon this family, and how each of them in turn deals with that load upon their shoulders. And, not only was there an amazing cast surrounding this film, but with the moral debate, emotionally charged medical situation, and interesting family dynamic this was sure to make for a fabulous viewing experience.
Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. True, I did enjoy the film, and true, I was delightedly surprised by the acting throughout. But I felt like director Nick Cassevetes just missed the mark a bit. The movie did not disappoint in the emotional, almost melodramatic, characteristics it portrayed. And of course, I cried like the best tearjerker should make you cry. However, I don't think that the overall storyline was quite as developed as I would have hoped when based of a bestselling novel. I think the part that surprised me the most, in a this-is-weird-for-this-type-of-movie sort of way, the editing seemed very misdirected. The scenes seemed to be cut off at odd times, fading out in an 80's kind of way. Very surprising, and definitely didn't add anything to the overall film.


The performance that surprised me the most, Cameron Diaz. I am not a huge Diaz fan, I usually detest the movies where she plays the stereotypical dumb blond role, chasing after a man who is all wrong for her and making a fool of herself the whole time. But this film, completely different. Completely opposite of her "normal" roles. And completely marvelous!!! I couldn't believe who I was watching! Was this is same Cameron Diaz who's role I detested in "In Her Shoes"? Was this the same Diaz who I heard played an absolutely terrible role in "What Happens In Vegas"? Not in my world! She was amazing, completely amazing. She captured this serious role with ease. Made me believe that she really had been a mother of a terminally ill child for 14 years.....emotional, dramatic, stoic at times, and believable. I was thrilled to see her in such a serious role, and really hope that she will continue to surprise me in the future. In my opinion, this is what she was meant to do.

And the daughters within the film, in one word, amazing. Though I think that Abigail Breslin didn't play up to her potential, both were stunning. This is the first movie I have seen of Sofia Vassilieva, but some of us may recognize her from the hit tv show "Medium". She simply blew me away. I wanted to see more of her truthfully, and wished that they would have focused more on her character then Abigail Breslin's. It amazes me that girls so young could play such dramatic and emotional roles with ease. I am not sure if I could even memorize a Shakespeare poem as a teenager, let alone an entire movie script with emotion and all! I was thoroughly impressed.

Overall, I definitely thought that My Sister's Keeper was one not to miss, though the director did miss the mark on some scenes meant to be dramatic and highly effecting. And the moral debate not fully realized, which I believe would have been rather interesting played out on the big screen. I give it a two diaper day, Agreeable.

2 comments:

  1. i have to say i wasn't a huge fan of this movie. i read the book and totally loved it, but too many things were different (um, hello, the ending was completely changed!) and they left out an entire character! wasn't the worst movie ever, i didn't hate it, but it could've been better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, very professional. Yet, I shall never watch this movie, even if my life depended on it. For I fear I would sink into an abysess, from whence I would never escape.

    ReplyDelete